The primary function of this position is to perform laboratory procedures using diagnostic testing, confirming and verifying results, correlating data, and producing factual reporting of data results of tests.
Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language. Should possess a Bachelors Degree in Medical Laboratory Science (Biological or Chemical), with appropriate certifications: MT (ASCP, CLS (NCA) or HHS. Must qualify as General Supervisor under CLIA 1988 regulations for High Complexity Training. Current Medical Technologist registration required or HHS/HEW certified. Position should possess age specific communication competencies in order to work effectively with patients of different ages.
- Collects patient specimens according to lab protocol. manner.
- Determines specimen’s acceptability and prepares for testing.
- Performs high quality testing, producing accurate, reproducible analyses of lab procedures in a timely
- Learns new lab techniques and procedures as needed.
- Reports and maintains records of patient test results.
- Analyzes lab results based on age-specific criteria.
- Analyzes and records Quality Control data as required, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Performs delta checks according to established protocol.
- Performs daily/monthly analysis of QC data as assigned, identifying shifts, trends, and other abnormalities,
- Performs proficiency testing as assigned, maintaining appropriate records of data.
- Documents changes and cancellations as needed, notifying Medical Records of such.
- Performs miscellaneous lab procedures including: participating in writing lab procedures, training new personnel,
- Documents and logs equipment maintenance, performing as directed.
- Monitors supplies and reagents, notifying lab director is they are low in inventory.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to BCMH HIPAA requirements, releasing information/test results
- Faxes lab results to physician’s office as required.
- Back up for Phlebotomist position as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.