In The Beginning
In 1944, members of the local American Legion Post became interested in erecting a memorial for the men and women currently serving in the armed forces. The publicity generated by their task caught the attention of local retired businessman, H.C. Chancellor. Mr. Chancellor envisioned a more permanent memorial, one with lasting value to the county as well as serving as a living tribute to the servicemen and women. The idea of Barton County Memorial Hospital was born and the work to achieve the dream commenced.
With the strong and faithful support of the community, the hospital became a reality.
On October 2, 1949, a flag raising and presentation ceremony marked the completion of the two-story brick facility. The highlight of the ceremony was the presentation of the bronze plaque bearing the name of the 61 Barton County men who gave their lives for our country in World War II. This plaque and those for subsequent conflicts continue to be prominently displayed at BCMH.
As with any successful endeavor, improvements and expansions continued to be made to accommodate the needs of the community.
Over the years, Barton County Memorial Hospital has seen many changes both with the hospital itself and throughout the region. With improving technology and transformations in the delivery of health care services, the building itself was becoming obsolete. Our beloved hospital was inefficient, out of space, outdated, landlocked and too expensive to repair or renovate.
In 2003, the Board of Trustees determined that constructing a new hospital was the right way to go.
A Dream Realized
In 2007, a new dream was realized when the relocated Barton County Memorial Hospital opened its doors at 29 NW First Lane. Not only is the present 64,000 square foot hospital welcoming in appearance, it provides both patients and visitors added comfort and convenience. A frequent comment as someone gazes around the lobby for the first time is, “It doesn’t look like a hospital.” That isn’t accidental – it was important that the county’s new healthcare facility function like a hospital with all the technology necessary to provide up-to-the-minute healthcare, but not look like a hospital.
Bringing the hospital’s Medical One Clinic into the same building provides patients with easy access to any needed ancillary services. Expansion of the clinic space in 2012 allows us to
offer additional specialties and improve efficiency.